Monday, February 9, 2009

Pimping My Stuff: War of Kings: Warriors

It was a wild and wonderful New York Comic Con weekend filled with good times, great friends, and crowds that were probably good for some part of the economy but bad for my mental stablity, but we all survived (pending last minute casualty reports) and have come out the other side stronger, shinier people.

There were many rad announcements and newsmakers this weekend, and I humbly suggest you check out the New York Comic Con hub at Marvel.com for all that good stuff plus plenty of neat new video features and more on the Marvel side. For the world outside the House of Ideas, surf the web, but make sure you stop by Kiel's newly-up-and-running Four Color Forum as one of your destinations.

Now like I said, a lot of big stuff went down at NYCC '09, but nothing bigger for me personally than the announcement of a project called War of Kings: Warriors.

WoK: Warriors is a four-issue limited series coming exclusively to Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited beginning in May. It started out as a pitch I made to War of Kings editor Bill Rosemann for a spinoff to the main cosmic WoK saga spotlighting certain characters from the project, and ended up becoming my very first assignment as an honest to goodness editor.

I'm gonna toss out some links with all the relevant details of Warriors in a sec, but let me take a moment to say this is obviously a lifelong dream for me and helped make this weekend an extra special one. Not only am I getting to getting to edit a comic book, I'm able to be a part of the Marvel cosmic revival that Andy Schmidt and Keith Giffen kicked off with Annihilation and that guys like Bill, Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning and many more have been making magic with over the last few years. Everybody knows that Nova and Marvel's other space-based characters have a special place in my heart and as a fan and even early on as a "pro" I never imagined I'd get to be a part of it.

We made the announcement on the War of Kings panel on Friday, where I had a total blast with Bill as well as my writers, Christos Gage and Jay Faerber, plus C.B. Cebulski, Nick Lowe and Jim McCann. Marvel.com, Comic Book Resources, Newsarama and IGN all had the call. And for the record, Sean McKeever knows I got nothing but love for him, despite never having actually read his Inhumans stuff, but it was too easy a line.

In addition, Newsarama, CBR, Wizard Universe and Marvel.com have assorted interviews with Chris, Jay and myself.

I'm sure I'm gonna have some more NYCC stuff to chat about sooner rather than later and more Warriors stuff to talk on as well, but for now, it's time for me to rest up.

But rather than miss me too much, you can see me on video here and here.

And finally, lest I forget, the art I've been showing throughout this post is courtesy of my extremely talented Warriors cover artist, Paul Renaud. You can see more of his work on his official site.

1 comment:

Jesse T. said...

Holy Moses! Sounds like an awesome project, Ben ... ol' Uncle J's proud of ya! Can't wait to read it.