Monday, June 28, 2010

Linko! L

Damn! When Ben and I decided to start adding Roman Numerals to this thing, part of the reason was because I didn't really know how that system developed as it got passed SuperBowl numbers. 50 is L. How about that?


* Jeez Louise, you guys...if there is just one link you HAVE to check out this week, it's Foreign Policy's gallery of photos from a circa early '60s book on life in Afghanistan. Above: co-ed college students study Biology. So many more amazing pictures that combat the gross "Afghans are stone age savages" rhetoric out there these days it's INSANE.

* And hey, not to make this too political (but I guess why not because it's our fucking blog), but with all the news coverage of the piece, I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to read the Michael Hasting's Rolling Stone profile of General Stanley McChrystal that caused his firing. [SIDE NOTE: Was everyone REALLY that surprised that Rolling Stone wrote such a story? They've been covering war in general and our current wars in particular for years. Has every on air talent at CNN, MSNBC and Fox literally never read a copy of America's biggest Rock N Roll magazine?]

As a follow up to the initial profile, I'll say that a lot of the time I defer to my brother the Iraqi War veteran Brian's opinion on most matters involving our military, and like him, I agree that there are some interesting points made about what exactly McChrystal was fired for in this D.B Grady post at The Atlantic. I mean, Grady comes off like a total ass clown when he gets into his "Obama has given up on victory in Afghanistan" track later on, but I guess I'm just glad that someone is questioning whether or not the General really said anything worthy of being called insubordinate or worse.

* OK, on to comics! The I Love Rob Liefeld blog has another of its super helpful roundups of comics in book form worth buying. Go check it out and start setting aside cash now!

* Did you know that CBR has the entire first issue of David Hine and Shaky Kane's Bulletproof Coffin up to read for free. Well, WE DO! Go check it out!


* Sean T. Collins crack Link: i09 has a pretty radical gallery of He-Man concept art up, although the blogger who posted it seems not to quite grok the awesomeness of Masters of the Universe.

* Semi-related Link?: Sean blogged this as well, and I think it was Chris Ward who first drew our attention to it, but the Slate revisiting on the Dick Tracy movie is SO worth your time.

* I kind of know about this show because I see its commercials on those odd nights I'm up at 3:00 AM watching Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends repeats, but apparently that "Phineas and Ferb" show on Disney XD is on its way to being a Spongebob-level hit for the kid set. Who know, bro?

* Finally, thanks to my bud "I'm down like" Cullen Brown for this thought-provoking link on the potential dangers of 3D movies.

3 comments:

KentL said...

Phineas and Ferb is awesome. My family loves it. The kids like the goofiness, but my wife and I like the humor aimed at adults. Well worth a look.

Ben Morse said...

What is 60?! Stay tuned!

evil eye necklace wholesale france said...

I mean, Grady comes off like a total ass clown when he gets into his "Obama has given up on victory in Afghanistan" track later on, but I guess I'm just glad that someone is questioning whether or not the General really said anything worthy of being called insubordinate or worse. pandora necklace canada , pandora necklace australia ,