Sunday, April 19, 2009

Improbable But True: "Wanted" Movie Reunites Father & Daughter

Above: Actually Impossible


In Mark Millar and J.G. Jones' comic Wanted and its subsequent film adaptation, lead character Wesley Gibson confirms his status as “most insignificant asshole of the 21st century” by Googling himself and drawing up no results. Now, as someone who spends an inordinate amount of time googling himself, I can tell you that the scene is 100% impossible as any two words not made up entirely of gibberish will draw some result on the search engine. But the detail is really funny in context and works well for Wesley's story, so when I first saw it I was just like, "OK. Ha ha. Suspension of disbelief. Let's move on."

Now, jaded interwebs writer that I am, I often take for granted the fact that plenty of Americans aren't trapped in this six-letter prison I call a search engine, but thankfully local news teams across this great land of ours are always on hand to remind me that computers, comics and movies are in fact magic.

Case in point: apparently Seattle, Washington resident Dirk Pratt rented "Wanted" a few weeks back, and after seeing the dashing James McAvoy look himself up, Pratt decided to do the same. Lo and behold, rather than finding out that his name drew no results, Pratt found his daughter, who he had thought dead for 27 years.

Seriously.

You guys have really got to click through that link and watch the video. It's great when they start cutting between the tearful airport reunion of father and child and stock footage of Angelina Jolie blowing the shit out of a Duane Reade.

"I demand to know who's your daddy!"


I know when you write blog posts about things like this, you're supposed to tie up all the threads to make some grand point about new media or something, but really I just thought it was kind of insane.

No comments: