Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Comic Shop Stop: What I Bought This Week

Sometimes it's new stuff. Sometimes it's old stuff. Sometimes it'll be back issues or the same ol' thing I got 4 weeks ago. Whatever the case is, here's what I got at the shop this week (lemme know if you wanna borrow anything):



ZOMBIES THAT ATE THE WORLD #8 - The end of the Devils Due reprint of this Humanoids zombie comic from Guy "I'm kicking Rickey's ass with B.P.R.D." Davis!



ZOMBIES THAT ATE THE WORLD #3 - I'd missed this issue when it came out (and read all the way to issue #5 before realizing I was missing it) and couldn't find it for forever. Of course it was sitting in the Midtown back-issue bin. Man, combined with the Iron Fist issue I found a couple weeks back, this find puts me on a missing back-issue hit list killing spree.



RASL #6 - Jeff Smith's series about a dimension-hopping thief hits the half dozen mark. I also saw a copy of the over-sized first hardcover on the discount shelf at Midtown, but passed cause I already have the issues. Besides, I reserved my dough for...



not simple - I first saw this on some site (maybe this?) listing upcoming interesting manga literally 3 days ago, so after a flip-thru at the store - and since it was a light week - I grabbed it. Whenever I've sampled the Viz Signature line with books like Solanin and Cat-Eyed Boy, I've been delighted, so this story about a guy searching for his sister with its odd line art and indie vibe made me feel like I'd like it. I've got a peculiar taste when it comes to manga, so my purchases are few and far between, but the more personal stories like this are the ones I'm most likely to try. I've been pleasantly surprised since I started testing the manga waters more in the last three years and discovered that the genre wasn't at all what I thought it was. Really, there's something for everyone, so don't be biased like I was - give stuff a try. I recommend checking regularly here and here for smart info on nontraditional options for superhero comics folks looking to sample some manga possibilities.

How about you guys? Get anything good?

(Quick disclaimer: I borrow a LOT of stuff from Ben each week from Marvel, so I don't always buy single issues of the Marvel books. And I get everything from DC, WildStorm, Vertigo, and Zuda for free, so I never really buy anything from them unless I'm picking up for somebody else. So don't take my exclusion of DC stuff as a sign that the books aren't good enough to buy. They are. So there.)

4 comments:

KP said...

I ALSO got RASL and not simple! Otherwise an odd week for me and the superserial habit: Starman 81 and Stumptown 2. Fucking Joe The Barbarian! And I got The Web 3 because I'm a nerd and this Streets of Gotham issue for work.

Rickey said...

YES! I grabbed Rasl for Brian Cunningham, also. And I almost grabbed the Copper collection based on your recommendation a while back, but put it back on the shelf cause I grabbed not simple. I'll def get Copper later, though, cause I flipped through and it looked GREAT.

Almost bought an Achewood collection, too, based on those strips Dave's passing around. Joe the Barbarian is ONLY A DOLLAR!!! One dollar. Unbelievably fantastic deal.

Trinity said...

I can't believe you didn't Joe the Barbarian if only for the price. I was just thinking to myself that I love that Vertigo is nice enough to do this First issue for $1. If more companies did that they might have higher retention on their series and not have to cancel 2 titles at issue 5(hint hint Marvel).

demoncat said...

a little heavy on the zombies for your list this week but balanced out by rasl a good pick