Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Lovely Parting Gifts pt. 2: ToyFare Attacks!

No sooner did I disseminate my post on Wizard going away art to my brethren alumni than did the former members of our old little sister magazine, ToyFare, cry out "Wait! Pay attention to us!"

The rivalry between Wizard and ToyFare is a tale as old as time, a song as old as rhyme.

Ok, actually there is no rivalry whatsoever, but in my heart, I always kinda wished deep-down that there was and that it would be settled each year at the company picnic with me hitting a deep homer off Justin Aclin to win the admiration of my peers.

Anyhow, here are some cool customized action figures the TF boys got on their way out.

The aforementioned Justin Aclin departed ToyFare in early 2008 for life in the big city only to promptly return later in the year in a higher position where he still reigns to this very day. Jaclin got a simply sweet Marvel Legends custom job of himself that he claims came with "a laptop, a portable gaming system, several in-scale action figures and a headband, because he is a ninja." None of those are pictured above, but you can see that they did capture Justin's beard in all its glory.
When I was still at Wizard, Zach Oat was running the show over at ToyFare, but he left in 2008, opening the door for the return of Justin. Zach is currently rocking it over at Television Without Pity (currently sporting a Melrose Place article on their homepage that I'm going to go read once I'm done here). The Master of the Mutton Chops was gifted for his years of service the amazing Iron Man figure bearing his likeness you see above.
Jon Gutierrez was the Price Guide Editor at ToyFare for many years, during which period he still found time to perform as a member of the Upright Citizens Brigade. For his trouble, he received a Star Trek-themed Mego of himself with what he calls an "Egon Spengler-like hairdo." To the best of my knowledge, Jon did not have any facial hair while working at ToyFare, making him like that one white guy who played for the Harlem Globetrotters.

And now I'll await the inevitable flood of e-mails from former InQuest staffers wanting me to post their custom Magic cards.

No comments: