Thursday, December 3, 2009

Comic Shop Stop: What I Bought This Week

Just like last week, I stopped by Midtown Comics today and grabbed some new stuff.

Sometimes it's new stuff. Sometimes it's old stuff. Sometimes it'll be back issues or the same ol' thing I got 4 weeks ago. Whatever the case is, here's what I got at the shop this week (lemme know if you wanna borrow anything):



INVINCIBLE PRESENTS ATOM EVE & REX SPLODE #2 - Thank Marmaduke Kirkman and crew let the world have more Invincible every month than just the monthly title. This miniseries just so happens to be by some of my favorite creators - Nate Bellegarde and Benito Cereno - too. Pick up their book Hector Plasm if you ever find it!!



COMIC BOOK COMICS #4 - I snagged the first 2 issues of this book ABOUT comics back at Wizard World Philly this year on the cheap-cheap
and then I spotted this guy at the store today. I was gonna pass and try and find it in a quarter bin down the road, but I flipped through and saw a long story about Stan Lee that seemed unafraid to show the blemishes on Lee's career and didn't smooth over the controversies, so I said, "balls it," and grabbed the thing. Plus, a story about Herge!



KING CITY #3 - Brandon Graham's magazine-sized book is one of my favorite reasons to go to the comic shop each month. It's fun and big and vibrant and exciting. I LOVE COMICS!




THE SWORD #20 - The Luna Brothers kidnapped my heart with their pitch-perfect thriller Girls
and I'm enjoying this modern-day fantasy epic just as much. Pretty!



THE COMICS JOURNAL #300 - A buddy of mine at work has been giving me his copies of The Comics Journal each month for a while now, but I've been anticipating this final issue packed with interviews for so long that I had to grab it at the store when I spotted it.



SON OF MARVEL READING CHRONOLOGY - Wanna know what order to read Marvel collections in? Boom: get this. Wanna see the rad art that accompanied Sean's Marvel Oral History in a recent issue of Maxim? Boom: get this. Want something free? BOOOOM: get this.


How about you guys? Get anything good?


(Quick disclaimer: I borrow a LOT of stuff from Ben each week from Marvel, so I don't always buy single issues of the Marvel books. And I get everything from DC, WildStorm, Vertigo, and Zuda for free, so I never really buy anything from them unless I'm picking up for somebody else. So don't take my exclusion of DC stuff as a sign that the books aren't good enough to buy. They are. So there.)

5 comments:

Ben Morse said...

Is that the latest Comic Book Comics or has another one come out since then? I need the newest one.

Also, for those interested, in addition to my Marvel compcs (which came a day early), I got the first issues of Flash and Wonder Woman's Blackest Night tie-in minis as well as the new issues of House of Mystery and The Boys. Rickey's got The Mighty and JSA: All Stars for me.

And Deadpool Classic volume three came out today, so gotta grab that when I get a minute as well. The awesome Spider-Man homage is in that one.

Trinity said...

If it's Marvel, I got about 80 % of what came out and it wasn't free. You guys are lucky for that perk and my monthly order from DCBS came so I ended up with about 50 issues to read yesterday. God I love Comic Book Day.

Rickey said...

That's the newest issue, Ben. I checked their site. I THINK it came out two weeks back. I just noticed it during this week's trip.

And you're buying nearly EVERYTHING from Marvel, Trinity? I couldn't keep up like you. You're better than me. :)

Ben Morse said...

You borrow like everything but four titles from me. You keep up fine. You just don't know what's going on in X-Factor. :-p

Trinity said...

It is a hard fought battle but I do it because I love it. I actually think I read everything Marvel except a couple of X-Men titles. That is flipping scary. And that is on top of the Image and Dark Horse stuff I get.