Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Art Attack: November 2011's Coolest Covers

Pun about being thankful, etc. etc. etc...

-A painter whose work I really dig when it comes to covers in particular is Gerard Parel. He's got the smooth, near-metallic sheen of a Adi Granov or Marko Djurdjevic to his work, but also an edginess bordering nearly on messiness that helps him stand apart. His Captain America and Marvels Project covers were really strong and had a gutsy appeal, his S.H.I.E.L.D. is bold and his Thor here for Avengers Origins boasts a raw power I think perfectly suits the character.

-Adam Hughes is traditionally known for his ladies, but I like the way he does the Batman characters in general. His balance of pop color with shadow is perfect for a guy like Nightwing.

-Kyle Baker's DeadpoolMAX cover is fun, but I'm curious where the logo goes. Given that I work in the same building the comic gets made in, I suppose I should just ask somebody there.

-I echo J. Caleb Mozzocco in his feelings about how cool it would be to have Simon Bisley on the interiors of Deathstroke for at least an issue.

-I enjoy when Steve Epting does covers, because he makes them really pretty.

-I don't know what that horse is doing in Francis Manapul's Flash cover, but I know I like it.

-Jason Pearson draws a fantastic Warlock.

-That Philip Tan cover is the first piece of art to sell me on Hawkman's new post-reboot costume.

-First of all, that homage to Frank Quitely's New X-Men on Secret Avengers is both cool and spot on, but second, I would never have tabbed Larry Stroman as being the guy who did it. Wow.

-Gabrielle Dell'Otto's Red Skull on Vengeance #5 is terrifying. That smile, the texture, the colors...yikes.

THE ALL-NEW BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD #13 by Rick Burchett
ANGEL & FAITH #4 by Steve Morris
AVENGERS ORIGINS: THOR #1 by Gerard Parel
AVENGERS ORIGINS: VISION #1 by Marko Djurdjevic
BALTIMORE: THE CURSE BELLS #4 by Mike Mignola
BATGIRL #3 by Adam Hughes
BATMAN #3 by Greg Capullo
B.P.R.D. HELL ON EARTH: RUSSIA #3 by Dave Johnson
DEADPOOLMAX #2 by Kyle Baker
DEATHSTROKE #3 by Simon Bisley
FF #12 by Steve Epting
THE FLASH #3 by Francis Manapul
GRIFTER #3 by CAFU
HUNTRESS #2 by Guillem March
MEN OF WAR #3 Viktor Kalvachev
MUDMAN #1 by Paul Grist
NEW MUTANTS #33 by Jason Pearson
PENGUIN: PRIDE & PREJUDICE #2 by Szymon Kudranski
PIGS #3 by Amanda Conner
THE PUNISHER #5 by Mike Perkins
THE SAVAGE HAWKMAN #3 by Philip Tan
SECRET AVENGERS #19 by Larry Stroman
SHAME ITSELF #1 by Skottie Young
SUICIDE SQUAD #3 by Ryan Benjamin
THUNDERBOLTS #166 by Mike Del Mundo
TINY TITANS #46 by Art Baltazar
ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #3 by Kaare Andrews
UNCANNY X-FORCE #17 by Esad Ribic
VENGEANCE #5 by Gabrielle Dell'Otto
VENOM #9 by Michael Lark