Monday, March 22, 2010

Pimping My Stuff: To Hellboy And Back


Yo.

Like Ben, I don't like to spend too much time on the blog linking up to what I write for "the day job" because most likely anyone who likes comics enough to read this site already check CBR with some frequency (and reposting all I write would be annoying, especially during those weeks when it feels like all I write are soon to be shot down Captain America casting rumors). But sometimes I've got to make an exception, and this week I'm drawing y'all's attention to my new interview series with Mike Mignola "To Hellboy And Back."

What this is is a slew of interviews with Mike Mignola coming over the next few weeks supported by exclusive art, the announcement of a bunch of new HB/B.P.R.D. projects and support materials including character bios for the main players in the Hellboy universe and thoughts from some of Mignola's collaborators on the various series Dark Horse puts out. Now, I'm sure some of you are thinking, "Kiel, isn't this just one big ass interview broken up into a bunch of tiny little pieces?" (and I'd be asking that too because I hate when places do that for no good reason), but I really think that ultimately the material is much stronger formatted the way we're doing it (not even counting the fact that Dark Horse approved the interview with Mignola based on a desire to not blow their entire year of publishing plans for one of their biggest characters in one interview that'd be on the top of CBR's front page for less than 24 hours. They're crafty like that).

But no, the initial call I did with Mike was a little all over the place, and not all of it would make sense as a straight transcript, nor would most of you want to hear about me bitch about comics made to be movies for several paragraphs like he had to. Plus, with all the other material I'm gathering to strengthen our stories including more from Mike and guys like John Arcudi as well as some theoretically cool art which isn't even ready to be shown yet (so Jim Gibbons tells me), I think that each and every week one of these runs, you'll be able to see a different piece of the Hellboy universe and understand what makes it an interesting and compelling piece of comics.

For whatever reason, Hellboy remains something of an "outside the mainstream" property in comics despite being, let's face it, one of the most critically acclaimed superhero concepts invented in the past two decades. I'm not sure why so many members of Fanboy Nation don't pick up these books with the same frequency they do Batman or the Avengers, but if you've ever been interested in learning more about what makes Hellboy work, this is your chance to get informed at no extra cost.

So yeah...part one is up right now on CBR and more installments of the column will be held at this link. Let me know what you think, huh?

No comments: