Friday, May 8, 2009

Linko! V


* If you read nothing else in this week's Linko!, read writer Jay Pinkerton's remix of Superman's origins. Side-splittingly funny, plus it looks like there's more public domain comics madness on Pinkerton's site. (Via Comics Alliance.)

* Amongst other interesting things dropped in New York Times' Style Magazine interview with Quentine Tarantino, the director dropped this bit when explaining to the interviewer during an exchange about Q's love of Cannes:
Did you like being on the jury?

I loved it. I enjoy arguing. There was one year when I visited Cannes, and I was so caught up in the spirit that I picked 12 movies that I had never seen from all different countries and I watched them and did my own little awards thing. Can I tell you the movie that won? ‘‘Perfume’’ by Tom Tykwer. ‘‘Perfume’’ won my own little Cannes Film Festival.

In your festival, who won best director?

Bryan Singer for ‘‘Superman Returns.’’ I am a big fan of ‘‘Returns.’’ I’m working on what is now a 20-page review of that movie, and I’m not done yet.

I'm not a giant Tarantino fan, but I would kill to read that as my enjoyment of "Superman Returns" has only grown since it came out.

* Links I Stole From Twitter!:

Via Rob Liefeld: A detailed analysis of why Ron Artest is a whiney ass bitch.

Via Adam K. Olson: Could Obama's presidency mean that zombies will soon be overtaken by vampires? Plenty of people with actual graduate degrees seem to think so.

Via I don't remember: In a series of posts about his artistic collaborators under the banner A.I.W.W., writer Paul Tobin writes about his wife Colleen Coover in a way that makes you go "AWWWWW."

Via C.B. Cebulski: A nice write up of Shaun Tan's part in a PEN panel with Neil Gaiman last week.

Via Trent Reznor: An analysis of how Jimmy Eat World sold a boat load of DVDs through Twitter promotion. I'm not one of those people who really has an interest in the "Will Twitter monetize?" debate, but I thought it was crazy that JEW released a live DVD that was "Clarity" beginning to end and I totally missed it. I've been out of the emo game a while, I guess.

Via Ryan Penagos: Sign of the times: Army bases in the Middle East are using Marvel Pogs as currency. For reals.

Via James Robinson: My First Dictionary is totally not what you think:


* "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" in 30 seconds. I laughed.

* Obligatory NY Times Link: Some community colleges are offering Bachelor's degrees. I am so for this it's not even funny. Why won't they pass it in Michigan?

* Food For Thought Link: In defense of eye candy.

* Finally, two links from the Comic Books Tumblr page: first a link to word that DC will be publishing more Doc Savage comics, which is kind of cool if you're into that sort of thing (plus, Mark Chiarello is editing so points there). But the real fireworks come when you click through to Brian Stelfreeze's blog to see how he put the first cover together which crosses over every pulp icon DC has in their pocket. Check it out:

* Last up, a pretty long video of a dude reviewing the first five X-Men video games. I'm not sure I can recommend this heartily unless you really played the X-Men games for NES and Sega and lived through all their strange, sad frustrations. I mean, the video has a few laughs, but it's less a comedy bit and more a super serious take down of really bad games. I'm pretty sure stuff like this is why I don't play any system anymore, but as someone who was way into those games and characters in 6th grade, I got a kick out of it.

Plus, it gives me a no good excuse to repost one of the best videos ever:

2 comments:

Ben Morse said...

Good lord that video is just 200% pure concentrated awesome and it gets better every time I see it. Half the characters featured have never been and will never be as cool as they are in that video.

Professor X is a pimp.

Brendan McGinley said...

Oh good, he brought the origins back. Silly Eraktonians.