Sunday, August 19, 2012

Art Attack: November 2012's Coolest Covers

-I'd be very interested to see what color the logo and other trade dress elements will be for Artifacts #24. That sepia piece by Stjepan Sejic is gorgeous, and I'm curious to if setting in more muted shades would work best or if bright colors would pop it more.

-Is Iceman creating the suits on those ice cards on the cover to Astonishing X-Men #56 through force of will and concentration? Would that mental energy not be better served in another way if he's in the midst of battle? Regardless, it looks cool.

-Nice tease of the new Joker look by Greg Capullo on Batman #14. You see the key added element (that buckle), but no more, plus all the other key characters are worked in.

-Dustin Nguyen, man. Put him on a line-wide crossover.

-That Colder #1 image is one of the more disturbing ones I've seen in a bit, and thus one of the more memorable; it's gonna stick with me for a spell. Kudos, Juan Ferreyra.

-I'm no art expert (thanks for reading my monthly blog post about art that I like!), but I dig the foreshortening (right?) Dave Johnson uses on Creator Owned Heroes #6 to draw my attention straight to the barrel of the gun and then carry it through to the figures.

-Geof Darrow drawing Deadpool and a bunch of cats fighting Godzilla. As a fan, I say thank you. As a Marvel employee, I say you're welcome.

-More design excellence by Dave Johnson on the variant to Fantastic Four #1. The man knows how to use the fundamentals to make his stuff work. One of the masters.

-Mike Allred drawing Ant-Man, She-Hulk, Medusa and a lady in a Thing suit. See my Geof Darrow comments.

-More repetition from me, but as I said last month, my favorite Alex Ross work in immediate memory are those Ghost covers. He really seems to get that design and enjoy painting it. Beautiful.

-I'm not including the Joe Kubert Presents cover as a memorial or tribute, I'm doing so because even among 29 other great pieces, it stands out.

-Spoiler alert: Esad Ribic will need to work hard to not get every Thor cover he draws included on these for the foreseeable future.

-I love the idea and the execution of the X-Men Legacy #1 cover. I like it more every time I see it. Gotta make my way down to Daniel Ketchum's office sooner rather than later to ask about conception and process.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #698 by Paolo Rivera
AMERICAN VAMPIRE #33 by Rafael Albuquerque
ARTIFACTS #24 by Stjepan Sejic
ASTONISHING X-MEN #56 by Phil Noto
AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #14 by Gabrielle Dell'Otto
BATMAN #14 by Greg Capullo
BATMAN BEYOND UNLIMITED #10 by Dustin Nguyen
BATWOMAN #14 by J. H. Williams III
BILLY THE KID'S OLD TIMEY ODDITIES AND THE ORM OF LOCK NESS #2 by Kyle Hotz
COLDER #1 by Juan Ferreyra
CREATOR OWNED HEROES #6 by Dave Johnson
DARK AVENGERS #183 by John Tyler Christopher
DARK HORSE PRESENTS #18 by Steve Rude
DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS #14 by Ryan Sook
DEADPOOL #1 by Geof Darrow
ELEPHANTMEN #46 by Shaky Kane
FANTASTIC FOUR #1 by Dave Johnson
FF #1 by Mike Allred
GHOST #2 by Alex Ross
GREEN LANTERN CORPS #14 by Scott Clark
IT GIRL #4 by Mike Allred
JOE KUBERT PRESENTS #2 by Joe Kubert
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #14 by Ryan Sook
THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #1 by Esad Ribic
THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #2 by Esad Ribic
UNCANNY AVENGERS #2 by John Cassaday
UNCANNY X-FORCE #33 by Julian Totino Tedesco
WHERE IS JAKE ELLIS? #1 by Tonci Zonjic
X-MEN #38 by David Lopez
X-MEN LEGACY #1 by Mike Del Mundo

No comments: