Monday, January 30, 2012

Art Attack: April 2012's Coolest Covers

-I included more covers this month from Dark Horse and Image than I ever have before. Will that incline me to sample their product more? I gotta say, it might. In particular, stuff like Prophet and the other Extreme Studios books are really grabbing my attention on visuals. Ditto New Deadwardians (Dan Abnett doesn't hurt there either). We shall see...

-I also included a lot of Avengers Art Appreciation variants and probably could have thrown a few more in there. I love seeing guys and girls cut loose with the Art Appreciation concept, the weirder the better, with icons I love being twisted and jumbled. In particular, Charles Paul Wilson III's adorable Incredible Hulk piece is precious and John Tyler Christopher's fine art Black Widow on Winter Soldier stands out.

-A lot of very scary covers too. Travel Foreman has really found a visceral groove on Animal Man, and the BPRD images are pretty terrifying; in particular, Becky Cloonan's Pickens County Horror is seriously grossing me out. For real, it's making me uncomfortable.

-There's nothing left to say about Marcos Martin's Daredevil covers. If there were, it would be a steady line of superlatives.

-Mike Deodato's New Avengers cover looks like Mike Deodato but not, y'know? It's got his signature stuff, but he's stretching, which is always appreciated. He does draw a kick ass Iron Fist.

-Alan Davis, man. I can never get enough.

-Love the shout out to Static's original look on Khary Randolph's Static Shock cover. That's an awesome little touch.

THE ACTIVITY #5 by Mitch Gerads
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #682 by Mike Del Mundo
AMERICA'S GOT POWERS #1 by Bryan Hitch
ANGEL & FAITH #9 by Rebekah Isaacs
ANIMAL MAN #8 by Travel Foreman
AVENGERS ASSEMBLE #2 by Mark Bagley
BPRD: HELL ON EARTH-THE LONG DEATH #3 by Duncan Fegredo
BPRD: HELL ON EARTH-THE PICKENS COUNTY HORROR #2 by Becky Cloonan
CONAN THE BARBARIAN #3 by John Paul Leon
CREEPY COMICS #8 by Richard Corben
DAREDEVIL #11 by Marcos Martin
DARK HORSE PRESENTS #11 by Tonci Zonjic
DEADPOOL #53 by Dave Johnson
FATALE #4 by Sean Phillips
THE FLASH #8 by Francis Manapul
THE GOON #39 by Eric Powell
HAUNT #25 by Nathan Fox
I, VAMPIRE #8 by Andrea Sorrentino
INCREDIBLE HULK #7 by Charles Paul Wilson III
iZOMBIE #24 by Mike Allred
MOON KNIGHT #12 by Alex Maleev
NEW AVENGERS #25 by Mike Deodato
NEW DEADWARDIANS #2 by I.N.J. Culbard
NEW MUTANTS #40 by Kris Anka
PROPHET #24 by Giannis Milonogiannis
RESURRECTION MAN #8 by Rafael Albuquerque
SAVAGE DRAGON #181 by Erik Larsen
SECRET AVENGERS #26 by Alan Davis
STATIC SHOCK #8 by Khary Randolph
SUPERGIRL #8 by George Perez
ULTIMATE COMICS ULTIMATES #9 by Kaare Andrews
UNCANNY X-FORCE #24 by Phil Noto
WINTER SOLDIER #4 by John Tyler Christopher
WOLVERINE & THE X-MEN #9 by Chris Bachalo
X-CLUB #5 by Rodin Esquejo

3 comments:

Keith said...

I have to say all of the Avenger ones are very new and different, which is good. But the cover that stuck out to me was Supergirl.. I was shocked to see it was done by George Perez. Totally blown away..

Keith said...

And a quick note, I have noticed that Greg Land is working hard at not being Greg Land. In Uncanny #6, I noticed that his characters aren't as stiff as usual and His Designs for the Apex are pretty sweet. Now I was never a huge fan, but I can see some growth.. let me know what you think.

JimmyGlenn711 said...

Really digging the AMS #682! What a cool design. I'm also pretty pumped to see Bagley drawing Marvel characters again.

Be sure to check out Dark Horse Presents #11! In addition to having an awesome short by Francisco Frankevilla, my writing partner Frank Barberie and the awesomely talented Luke Radl have a short story from their upcoming series "The White Suits"

So check it out. Awesome post, btw, so many good covers.